FreeRADIUS and PostgresSQL

John Gardner John.Gardner at southtyneside.gov.uk
Tue Dec 1 10:03:03 CET 2009

Thanks Stefan

>It's not the HOWTO that's out of date, it's your server version being
>ancient. I can only strongly urge you to use the 2.x releases, they are
>so much more convenient and feature-rich. Especially if you are setting
>up a brand new instance, it's a very bad idea to start with this
>outdated version 1.1.3.

I'm sorry I assumed it was the HOWTO that was wrong, but the HOWTO did
say, "...I tested this instructions on CentOS 5.0 and CentOS 5.1. CentOS
5.x came with FreeRadius 1.1.3..."

As we are using OEL 5.4 I thought this would be OK.

>And that's where the misery of ancientness kicks in: 1.1.3 did not know
>about "Cleartext-Password" yet. If you really want to stick with this
>old version, you could use "User-Password" instead. But again: please
>don't. Use 2.x.

Ah!  That is good news.  The problem is that I'm working under
constraints of a support agreement that will only allow us to install
the packages that come with OEL 5.x, so at the moment, 1.1.3 is the only
thing I can work with :-(

>All attributes are defined in the dictionary (and all the files which
>are included by raddb/dictionary). These are hundreds. But it's not
>usually necessary to read them - the HOWTOs get you through the config,
>so long as the versions they refer to are halfways in sync.

I will have a look at the dictionary.  Thanks again.

John

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the named recipient and may contain sensitive, confidential or protectively marked material up to the central government classification of ?RESTRICTED" which must be handled accordingly.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail and delete from your system, unless you are the named recipient (or authorised to receive it for the recipient) you are not permitted to copy, use, store, publish, disseminate or disclose it to anyone else.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as it could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses and therefore the Council accept no liability for any such errors or omissions.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise views or opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Council and are not intended to be legally binding.

All Council network traffic and GCSX traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

South Tyneside Council, Town Hall & Civic Offices, Westoe Road, South Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE33 2RL, Tel: 0191 427 1717, Website: www.southtyneside.info