Config Examples

agalnx77 agalnx77 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 13:37:02 CET 2009

Hi Alex,

RADIUS uses port 1812 for  authentication and 1813 for accounting.

Since these are well known ports, netstat -a will not explicitly show you
the port #s being used but the name of the protocol instead for easy
identification.

See sample below:

agalnx-srv-01:~ # netstat -a
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 10.10.10.13:ssh         10.10.10.11:49177
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 10.10.10.13:ssh         10.10.10.11:49172
ESTABLISHED
udp        0      0 *:49710                 *:*
udp        0      0 *:bootps                *:*
udp        0      0 *:tftp                  *:*
udp        0      0 *:985                   *:*
udp        0      0 *:mdns                  *:*
udp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*
udp        0      0 *:ipp                   *:*
udp        0      0 *:radius                *:*
udp        0      0 *:radius-acct           *:*
udp        0      0 *:tdp-suite             *:*
raw        0      0 *:icmp                  *:*                     7
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)

The output you've been seeing is what you should expect.

In regarding configuration examples for the client.conf the file itself has
the information you're looking for. You either edit the samples and
uncomment the lines (not really recommended) or you copy one of the example
and place it to the end of the file and edit it to attend your needs.

For example:

The example below was extracted from the clients.conf itself:
#client 192.168.0.0/16 {
#       secret          = testing123-2
#       shortname       = private-network-2
#}

You may copy it to the end of the file and replace the suggested IP address
to the IP address of your NAS (switch, Access-Point...etc.).

client 10.10.10.1/32 {
    secret          = mysecret-01
    shortname   = my-switch
}