Config Examples

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Dec 7 09:26:08 CET 2009

Hi,

> Alen,

you know my name - i dont mispell it in my emails :-(

> As other explained, when the port is set to 0, the daemon will take any port
> dynamically. However, thanks to Tim, he cleared out my confusion, and I see
> clearly the ports are in fact 1812 and 1813.
>
> udp 	0	0 *:radius		*:*
> udp	0	0 *:radius-acct	*:*

there should be no confusion - netstat clearly describes what each column is
and what is represents

> So after all, it's not selecting random port numbers. Is this a bug?

it NEVER selects a random port - i dont know where you are getting this
crazy idea from about dynamic random port if port = 0   please read the
few lines above that option, ie

        #  Port on which to listen.
        #  Allowed values are:
        #       integer port number (1812)
        #       0 means "use /etc/services for the proper port"
        port = 0

which bit of "0 means "use /etc/services for the proper port"" is not clear?

if you've put some crazy value into /etc/services then that'd be your problem

alan