Testing radius server

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Fri Dec 11 07:27:30 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Alex Bahoor <alexbahoor at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I'm spoiled in using purchased software, which uses GUIs all the time. So my
> expectations are little different.

Alex,

When you need more help than what's available freely, you can purchase
support from networkradius (http://networkradius.com/services.html)
I'm sure they'd be happy to help you with installation and configuration issues.

> While six years working with Sun
> Microsystems, I kept hearing all the time difficulty was the nature of
> Solaris, and Unix.

I don't agree with you on that point, but to each his own oppinion.

> The most elegant OS, Solaris, unfortunately did not go
> any where, and Sun went under. Why? Because it was not user friendly.

Just because it's not "popular" in desktop does not mean it "did not
go anywhere". Solaris is widely used in enterprise server environment.
There are also a lot of improvements in Solaris 10 and opensolaris,
which makes it easier to use for desktop users.

> It took me quite some time to find out which platform I should have used.
> What's in the wiki is vague, not specific to specific versions. And what
> packages of freeradious I should have installed. Till Tim clarified this for
> me, I was at loss and frustrated. You have to understand, this is free
> software, compatibility, and interoperability is at a big question; I don't
> have the time test every OS to find out which one is good, soso, or even
> bad. It should have been stated clearly in the wiki under "operating
> systems", and which version of each OS you have tested. Take a look at this
> paragraph which clearly proves my point. The link under "several versions of
> Linux" would not bring up a page. And in the same page, all OSes  listed
> have links to download the softwar, which is convenient, but did not tell
> me, what is there has been tested.

When you have problems, it's usually easier to get help if you ask
nicely, and be specific. For this particular case, if you ask "which
OS works and tested", I'd point you to RHEL/Centos/Fedora
http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ

Last, as Rick mentioned, if you find that current documentation/wiki
needs updating, please contribute to make it better.

--
Fajar