Managing the RADIUS database

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Dec 16 09:27:50 CET 2009

Steve Bertrand wrote:
> I'm curious to know what you use to manage your RADIUS database,
> particularly the accounting tables.

  "cron", and custom Perl scripts.

> Since then, I've written (ie. been writing) an ISP mgmt/accounting
> system that relies very heavily on the RADIUS accounting information for
> billing and statistics, but only after the data has been aggregated.

  That would make about 4 admin systems, I think.  It would be good to
consolidate them.  We could then replace the un-maintained
"dialup-admin" with a newer, and maintained version.

> Because I need to make some functional changes to it, I thought I'd ask
> here if others would be interested in such a Perl module (and its
> scripts), and if so, I'll extend it with further functionality after
> updating the code with the stuff I just didn't know then  ;)

  Yes.  If it's useful, we'll add it to the main FreeRADIUS repository.

> Currently, it uses plain DBI and only supports MySQL, but I'm going to
> incorporate much from my other work whereby DBIx::Class is used (to more
> easily support multiple dbs), expand on the config file, the installer
> and the documentation.
>
> Is using RADIUS accounting stats for billing/logging even done anymore?

  Many, many, people use it.  But a lot of people have "historical"
solutions that they are used to, so they don't develop newer solutions.