FreeRadius won't start with my configs

J Brandon Polley POLLEYJB at nsac.ca
Wed Dec 16 20:39:09 CET 2009

I can't get FreeRadius to start. No other instance of FreeRadius is running when I try to start FreeRadius.
I'm using FreeRadius 1.1.7-21.4.47

Here is my debug info when I enter radiusd -x

Module: Loaded exec
rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
Module: Instantiated exec (exec)
Module: Loaded expr
Module: Instantiated expr (expr)
Module: Loaded PAP
Module: Instantiated pap (pap)
Module: Loaded CHAP
Module: Instantiated chap (chap)
Module: Loaded MS-CHAP
Module: Instantiated mschap (mschap)
Module: Loaded System
Module: Instantiated unix (unix)
Module: Loaded eap
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type md5
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type leap
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type gtc
rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized type mschapv2
Module: Instantiated eap (eap)
Module: Loaded preprocess
rlm_preprocess: Error reading /etc/raddb/huntgroups (didnt change anything in this file)
radiusd.conf[1019]: preprocess: Module instantiation failed.
radiusd.conf[1800] Unknown module "preprocess".
radiusd.conf[1790] Failed to parse authorize section.
radius:~ #

Here is line 1019:
preprocess {
huntgroups = ${confdir}/huntgroups
hints = ${confdir}/hints

# This hack changes Ascend's wierd port numberings
# to standard 0-??? port numbers so that the "+" works
# for IP address assignments.
with_ascend_hack = no
ascend_channels_per_line = 23

# Windows NT machines often authenticate themselves as
# NT_DOMAIN\username
#
# If this is set to 'yes', then the NT_DOMAIN portion
# of the user-name is silently discarded.
#
# This configuration entry SHOULD NOT be used.
# See the "realms" module for a better way to handle
# NT domains.
with_ntdomain_hack = no

# Specialix Jetstream 8500 24 port access server.
#
# If the user name is 10 characters or longer, a "/"
# and the excess characters after the 10th are
# appended to the user name.
#
# If you're not running that NAS, you don't need
# this hack.
with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no

# Cisco (and Quintum in Cisco mode) sends it's VSA attributes
# with the attribute name *again* in the string, like:
#
#   H323-Attribute = "h323-attribute=value".
#
# If this configuration item is set to 'yes', then
# the redundant data in the the attribute text is stripped
# out.  The result is:
#
#  H323-Attribute = "value"
#
# If you're not running a Cisco or Quintum NAS, you don't
# need this hack.
with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
}

Here is line 1800:
preprocess

#
#  If you want to have a log of authentication requests,
#  un-comment the following line, and the 'detail auth_log'
#  section, above.
#auth_log

#attr_filter

#
#  The chap module will set 'Auth-Type := CHAP' if we are
#  handling a CHAP request and Auth-Type has not already been set
chap

#
#  If the users are logging in with an MS-CHAP-Challenge
#  attribute for authentication, the mschap module will find
#  the MS-CHAP-Challenge attribute, and add 'Auth-Type := MS-CHAP'
#  to the request, which will cause the server to then use
#  the mschap module for authentication.
mschap

#
#  If you have a Cisco SIP server authenticating against
#  FreeRADIUS, uncomment the following line, and the 'digest'
#  line in the 'authenticate' section.
#digest

#
#  Look for IPASS style 'realm/', and if not found, look for
#  '@realm', and decide whether or not to proxy, based on
#  that.
#IPASS

#
#  If you are using multiple kinds of realms, you probably
#  want to set "ignore_null = yes" for all of them.
#  Otherwise, when the first style of realm doesn't match,
#  the other styles won't be checked.
#
suffix
#ntdomain

Here is line 1790:
authorize {
#
#  The preprocess module takes care of sanitizing some bizarre
#  attributes in the request, and turning them into attributes
#  which are more standard.
#
#  It takes care of processing the 'raddb/hints' and the
#  'raddb/huntgroups' files.
#
#  It also adds the %{Client-IP-Address} attribute to the request.