libtool/libltdl bug

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Dec 20 18:24:51 CET 2009

Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> We received a bug report about libltdl, but there is not really enough
> information to diagnose the problem, perhaps someone here would be able
> to provide us with the reasoning of why this is a bug in ltdl.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2009-12/msg00028.html
>
> Note that I am subscribed in order to post, but have set it so that I
> don't receive email from the list, so please keep me in CC.

  I've CC'd.

  The problem is building a program using libtool && libltdl, then when
trying to link, getting:

  ... undefined reference to `lt__PROGRAM__LTX_preloaded_symbols'

  After *much* rooting through the libtool && libltdl code, my rant is here:

http://lists.cistron.nl/pipermail/freeradius-users/2009-September/msg00149.html

  It is a *horrible* bug.  Just use Google to search for
"lt__PROGRAM__LTX_preloaded_symbols", and you'll get *tons* of hits from
people trying to figure out and work around this program.

  We've worked around it locally be enabling some disgusting hacks in
the code that are used only when you define the pre-processor directive:

	CFLAGS += -DIE_LIBTOOL_DIE

  Yes, I'm upset.  I've spent 10 years using libtool & libltdl.  We're
at the point where they come close to *creating* more problems than they
solve.