FreeRADIUS without Universal Password

Danner, Mearl jmdanner at samford.edu
Thu Feb 5 18:57:48 CET 2009

Universal Password is encrypted. It's attribute name is
npsmDistributionPassword I believe. As a further protection it is only
readable by admin roles.

You'll have to set up freeradius to bind with such a login and get the
password and decrypt it. That function has been in freeradius for quite
a while. That process will give freeradius (internally) a cleartext
password to use for mschapv2.

We moved to all M$ products a while back, but used freeradius against
eDirectory for a couple of years before we moved to all Windows servers.
It was low maintenance and worked well for us. The only issue was the
moving auth target that M$ eap clients presented us. That's why we use
IAS presently. At least when it breaks it's their fault.

Mearl

For