FreeRADIUS with some HP Multifunction printers

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 10:33:02 CET 2009

hi,

I wonder if anyone can help or has seen such behaviour. We are
running FreeRADIUS on site extensively - for wireless and
wired authentication. the perennial issue of printers + 802.1X
has raised its head again - and this time we're trying
to hit it head on - configure them to use 802.1X !
(ie dont use 'MAC auth bypass', or sticky-mac with port
security etc - treat them like computers)

verily, we created userIDs for the printers in the Active
Directory  (same as normal users - and they happily
use 802.1X for wifi and wired).

however, we have hit a problem - when configuring some
HP printers to use PEAP, it 'just doesnt work(tm)'  :-(

the devices in question are M5035 and M6040 MFP devices,
I've attached the output of the radiusd -X after the 'ready'
line  - as said, this all works for other devices....
anyway, the 'interesting' line as far as i'm concerned
after seeing these debugs for many years is

[peap] Session established.  Decoding tunneled attributes.
[peap] Got something weird.
[peap] Tunneled data is invalid.
[eap] Handler failed in EAP/peap
[eap] Failed in EAP select
++[eap] returns invalid

hmmm.....I ponder if this is a PEAPv1/v2 thing going on? confirmations
welcome! (can I capture the PEAP type via a debug print statement?)

alan