FreeRADIUS with some HP Multifunction printers

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 11 13:32:47 CET 2009

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> verily, we created userIDs for the printers in the Active
> Directory  (same as normal users - and they happily
> use 802.1X for wifi and wired).
>
> however, we have hit a problem - when configuring some
> HP printers to use PEAP, it 'just doesnt work(tm)'  :-(

  The printers are *claiming* that they're doing PEAPv0.  However, the
protocol they're running is actually PEAPv2.

> the devices in question are M5035 and M6040 MFP devices,
> I've attached the output of the radiusd -X after the 'ready'
> line  - as said, this all works for other devices....
> anyway, the 'interesting' line as far as i'm concerned
> after seeing these debugs for many years is
>
> [peap] Session established.  Decoding tunneled attributes.
> [peap] Got something weird.

  Yes.  Arran ran into this, too.  He sent me some more detailed packet
traces.

  The contents of the tunnel are wrong for PEAPv0.  I believe he fired
off a "polite" email to HP about this. :)