authenticating to ldaps/tls

Peter Param pparam at stvincents.com.au
Thu Feb 12 11:27:20 CET 2009

it is an LDAP server answering on LDAPS connections (LDAP+SSL on port 636)   ...but it also supports the latter even tho an acl is set to not allow port 389

use start_tls=no fails also, it seems to have a problem with the cert and/or cert directory:

rlm_ldap: attempting LDAP reconnection
rlm_ldap: (re)connect to ldap1.stvincents.com.au:636, authentication 0
rlm_ldap: setting TLS mode to 1
rlm_ldap: could not set LDAP_OPT_X_TLS option Success
rlm_ldap: setting TLS CACert Directory to /etc/openssl/certs/
rlm_ldap: could not set LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_CACERTDIR option to /etc/openssl/certs/

cheers

Peter

>>> Thibault.LeMeur at supelec.fr 12/02/2009 9:04 pm >>>
Peter Param a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to authenticate to a LDAPS backend but failing.  Any suggestions?

Is it an LDAP server answering on LDAPS connections (LDAP+SSL on port
636) or an LDAP server answering on LDAP connections that are then
secured by Start-TLS  (LDAP on port 389 + Start-TLS)  ?

These are 2 different options.

> ldap people_search {
>                 server = "ldap1.stvincents.com.au"
>                 port = 636

==> This implies an ldaps server

>                 identity = "cn=admin,o=org,c=au"
>                 password = ***
>                 filter = "(cn=%u)"
>                 basedn = "ou=people,ou=darlinghurst,ou=nsw,o=schs,c=au"
>                 tls {
>                         tls_mode = yes
>                         # to the LDAP database by using the StartTLS extended
>                         # operation.
>                         #
>                         # The StartTLS operation is supposed to be
>                         # used with normal ldap connections instead of
>                         # using ldaps (port 689) connections
>                         start_tls = yes

==> this is not compliant with and ldaps server
use start_tls=no

By the way, Alan and other Gurus, I think there is a small typo in the
comment:

# using ldaps (port 689) connections

Should be

# using ldaps (port 636) connections

HTH,
Thibault
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been virus
scanned and although no viruses were detected by the system, St Vincents &
Mater Health Sydney accepts no liability for any consequential damage
resulting from email containing any computer viruses.