Framed-IP-Address override NAS pool?

Jeff Crowe listacct at genhex.net
Wed Jan 7 20:57:06 CET 2009

>> I now want to assign a few users different, static IPs using this:
>>
>> testuser	Service-Type == Framed-User
>> 		Framed-Protocol == PPP,
>> 		Framed-IP-Address = 192.168.1.2,
>> 		Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.0,
>> 		Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP
>>
>> This sort of thing used to work fine with Cisco dialup NAS's and Cistron,
>> even though the NAS had no pool using that IP range in its
config...radius
>> just forced it to override the default pool, but in this case, it just
>> keeps assigning an IP from the NAS pool (and yes, I have the above
>> statement ABOVE the DEFAULT statement).
>>

> Is Framed-IP-Address in the Access-Accept packet? You should probably
> return Service-Type as well. If attribute is not in the accept packet
> post the debug.

It appears to be.  From debug, after "Login OK":

+- entering group post-auth
++[exec] returns noop
 	Framed-Protocol == PPP
 	Framed-IP-Address = 192.168.1.2 (The address I want)
 	Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.0
 	Framed-Compression = Van-Jacobson-TCP-IP
Finished request 1.
Going to the next request
Waking up in 4.9 seconds.
Cleaning up request 1 ID 195 with timestamp +79
Ready to process requests.

However, that is not the IP that my client shows...it shows 192.168.0.2,
which is from the pool defined in the Cisco router's config.  It seems to
be overriding the radius users' config.

Hi James

I was running into this problem on my Redback. The issue was the Redback
wanted an IP address in the same subnet so I had to setup 192.168.1.1/24 as
a sub interface to allow subscribers to be assigned addresses in the
192.168.1.x/24 range.  My Shasta was completely different and would allow
any IP address to be returned via radius and it would allow the IP to be
used.

Cheers,
Jeff,