SQLCounter configuration

Hanno Schupp hanno.schupp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 06:06:43 CET 2009

Dear All,

I have a few questions regarding the rlm_sqlcounter module and its
configuration. I have a freeradius 2.1.0 communicating with a router running
chillispot 1.1  I set up counters for time, data volume, and with different
reset periods. All works fine and as expected.

Here my questions:

1)      After the time or data volume for a period (say a month) is reached
the user is automatically disconnected - as expected. Rather them not
allowing to log in , I would like freeradius to return some other attributes
(WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Up and WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Down work fine with
ChilliSpot) to be sent to the router for the user, so that a connection is
still possible, but at a much lower maximum speed. Can that be done, and if
so, can someone give me a pointer. I was thinking maybe using unlang, but I
may be barking up the wrong tree.

2)      The   reset = monthly   method seem to the first of the current
month. That is one way of doing it, but I would like the reset to occur at
the same date in the month every month. So if someone signs up, say on the
12th of a month, the reset will occur every month on the 12th. Can that be
done with freeradius?

3)      Currently I receive something like   Reply-Message = "Your maximum
never usage time has been reached"   when the counter reaches its limit -
even when what was counted as not time but data volume. Can Reply-Message
for sqlcounter be configured as in the expiration module?

4)      One surprise I have had: I don't quite understand how the system
calculates the day for the beginning of the reset = weekly. I appreciate
that calculating the day of the week is not easy as for example first of the
current month or beginning of the day, so I was not surprised to not have a
Monday, but I was surprised to see the SQL query run with 'Fri Jan 09 2009
00:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)' as beginning of the week,
when running the query on a Saturday. BTW, SQL time is configured correctly,
and the UNIX_TIMESTAMP is giving a correct timestamp for local time. What am
I missing?
(Note: When setting reset = 7d, I get something more explainable like 'Sat
Jan 10 2009 00:00:00 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)', which is the
beginning of the today's day. Should reset = weekly and reset =7d yield the
same result? If not, what is weekly vs 7d, and why does the week not start
on a Monday?

Any hints welcome