Proxying: Multiple accounting hosts?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jan 12 21:56:20 CET 2009

Adam Bultman wrote:
> I have Freeradius 2.1 built, and somehow, radrelay didn't get built.

$ man radrelay

  This is documented.

> was poking around on google, and it looks like proxy.conf might help me
> replace radrelay.
>
> Can you have multiple accthosts inside of proxy.conf realms?

  No.

> Like this:
>
> realm mydomain.com {
>         type = radius
>         authhost = LOCAL
>         accthost = LOCAL
> 	accthost = 192.168.1.2:1813
> 	accthost ...
> }

  The proxy.conf file that comes with the server contains documentation
describing how to have multiple home servers, and how to put them in
pools.  Please read it.

> On my FreeRADIUS 1.x server, I have a LOT of radrelay processes running,
> and it'd be nice to replace them all with proxy.conf. It'd make it much
> easier to manage for everybody else that might touch the server.

 The sample configuration files contain examples of how to have
"radrelay" functionality in 2.1.  See "man radrelay".  It points you to
a configuration file with examples.

> I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I googled for a bit and
> didn't find anything.

  This is *documented* in the server.  I don't understand why people
spend so much time searching for third party web sites when the server
includes documentation.

  The days of the server documentation saying "install, and good luck!"
are OVER.  The server includes documentation.  I hope people *read* it.