eap/tls freeradius openssl

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 19:33:03 CET 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 11:46 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
>
>> Brian Ertel wrote:
>>
>>> John,
>>>
>>> You are right, but the dir where the old radius was "make installed" is
>>> gone.  That is the original folder that was created after unzipping and
>>> installing the old ver. Of radius is gone.  Is there anything else I can do?
>>>

>> You can recreate the tree, follow the same steps you did the first time
>> which was probably something like this:
>>
>> % tar xf freeradius-server.tar
>> % cd freeradius-server
>> % ./configure #passing the exact same parameters you used the first time
>> % make
>>
>> Now instead of "make install" run make "make uninstall"
>>
>> Then you can delete the source tree.
>>
>> BTW, all this is basic Linux/Unix administration, the freeradius-users
>> list is not an appropriate place to learn these topics.
>>
> ----
> seems to me that it attempts to load the files he installed from tarball
> that are in /usr/local/[bin|sbin] and that is what he needs to clean out
> before he ever attempts to use anything installed from rpm

Exactly. FWIW the paths are embedded as a consequence of parameters
passed to configure. When you build from an SRPM the spec file passes
different parameters to configure than the default configure parameters,
thus the two installs will not likely conflict, but it's possible.
Therefore the best course of action, to assure there are no conflicts
and to reduce the inevitable confusion of having multiple copies
installed in various locations is to remove the first installation and
then do an RPM install.

An install copies many files into a variety of locations, the only way
to assure you've removed all the files to use the same code to uninstall
as was used to perform the install in the first place.

BTW, this is one reason why using the package manager on the target
system (e.g. rpm, apt, dpkg, etc.) is always preferred because they know
how to install and uninstall and keep a system consistent. When you go
behind the back of these package managers by installing things manually
(e.g. make install) you run the risk of screwing your system up unless
you have advanced skills and know exactly what you're doing.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>