No EAP-TLS with XP SP3 ?

Alexandros Gougousoudis gougousoudis-list at servicecenter-khs.de
Fri Jan 16 15:43:29 CET 2009

Hi Alan,

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk schrieb:
> if you had a working 1.1.0 system then you could upgrade quickly
> to 1.1.7 - same config etc etc - and then spend 'offline-time' getting

I thought it's working, but it isn't. I upgraded to 1.1.6 from 1.1.0,
same setup, but XP SP3 doesn't authenticate against Freeradius. Though I
don't think it's a problem of Freeradius, because radiusd -X shows no
requests from the XP machine. We had that a couple of years ago, when XP
couldn't determine which certificate to use. But using the right
extended-usage keys solved the problems. The new 802.x service is of
course set to automatic and it's running.

If I downgrade my machines to SP2, radius works immediately. So I think
the cert creation differs from old XP. Are there any hints about it? I
googled for Vista and Freeradius or SP3, but most information is not for
eap-tls, not for machinebased authentification or prior Vista or SP3.

Is XP SP3 somewhere running with EAP-TLS (machine based
authentification)? What can I do?

TIA
 Alex