Certificate-based client side authentication towards a website with freeradius

Martin Schneider martincschneider at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 1 16:20:23 CEST 2009

Hi Ivan

> Why use radius to check certificates when Apache can do it?
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_howto.html

Thanks for this reply.

We need also authorization. So we want to

1.) check if the certificate is signed by a "trusted ca"
2.) check if the username x in the certificate is "known"
3.) check if the user with name x is authorized to access the service.

For (2 and) 3 I thought we'd need radius. The authorization could be
stored in a database that can be easily modified.

Best regards,
M.