Syslog and FreeRADIUS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jul 6 23:19:01 CEST 2009

Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
> For a start I want to syslog the stuff that usually goes into radius.log
> - so the messages when the server starts (which are already being
> syslogged successfully) and the summary line (Auth: Login OK) printed
> after an authentication (which are currently not being sent to syslog).

  That can be done.  Just edit the log section of radiusd.conf.

> I also want to syslog the stuff that normally gets filed away under
> /var/log/radius/radacct - so details of radius packets for debugging.

  I'll echo Alan Buxey here... you don't want to do this.  See the
"raddb/sites-available/robust-proxy-accounting" for the RADIUS way of
doing it.

  i.e. you're trying to replicate RADIUS traffic.  So.... replicate it
as RADIUS traffic.

> The reason for wanting to send everything to a log host on the network
> is that the new generation of radius servers we are preparing are all
> virtualised and only have a few GB of disk - so no room for logs.

 There's enough room for a few days worth of detail logs, unless your
systems are very, very, busy.