Robust Authentication Proxying

Philip Molter hrunting at hrunting.org
Fri Jul 10 03:21:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a robust RADIUS authentication proxy.  All this
radius will do is proxy all auth requests to a set of four backend
RADIUS handlers.  I have a 2.1.6 server that I've configured with four
home_server entries and one home_server_pool that load-balances across
the four.  It works when all four backends are up, but if any 1 of the
backend goes down, then requests that get directed to that backend
result in an Access-Reject packet being returned to the NAS.  Is there
a way to configure freeradius so that instead of returning an Access-
Reject packet, the server will instead switch to the next configured
server and retry the request there?  It may mean that it takes a
little longer for the request to be handled, but that's better than it
being rejected.

Thanks for any advice or assistance.

Philip