Robust Authentication Proxying

Philip Molter hrunting at hrunting.org
Sat Jul 11 16:08:35 CEST 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Ivan Kalik wrote:

>> Yes, this is the configuration I'm currently running, and it's not
>> working for me.  I have a radclient sending a request, retrying 10
>> times
>> on a 5-second timer, and after 10 retries, it still hasn't gotten a
>> response.  After the second retry, the proxy has marked the server
>> as at
>> least a zombie and started status-checks, but every retransmit after
>> that is getting a cached result of no response.
>>
>>>  What do you expect the proxy to do with requests sent to a home
>>> server
>>> that *might* be down?  How should the proxy decide that the home
>>> server
>>> is down?  Be specific.  Draw flow diagrams...
>>
>> This is what I want to happen
>>
>> client req ->  proxy
>>                proxy req ->  home server #1
>> client ret ->  proxy
>>                proxy ret ->  home server #1
>>               [proxy fails home server #1 for lack of response]
>> client ret ->  proxy
>>                proxy req ->  home server #2
>>                proxy <- resp home server #2
>> client <- resp proxy
>
> You were told what to do: patch the source code so the request is
> removed
> from the list if do_not_respond policy is enabled. At present server
> can
> either respond or not respond to the request. It can't pretend it
> never
> recieved it as things stand now.

I did not see your message until after Alan's.

>> How do I configure that?
>
> It can't be configured. Source needs to be patched.
>
>> My client's not going to retry the
>> request if he gets an Access-Reject, so I need the proxy to retry it.
>
> What makes you think that? Users tend to retry dozen or so times with
> wrong username/password/exired acount before they opt to try another
> ISP
> (in my case they have another 150 to choose from) or call the
> helpline.
> Small minority will actually check their account settings themselves
> and
> almost nobody will try only once and then give up - not unless they
> have
> tried and failed a few times previously.

I'm not using RADIUS as a backend for ISP gear.  I am using a RADIUS
proxy to serve requests for service software, and when false failures
come back, customers get error boxes in their software and contact our
support angry that our authentications are returning transient
errors.  Furthermore, I consider it bad public face to return errors
to customers when they should not get them.  Yes, customers can always
retry, but we can also retry for them when know the reason is not due
to invalid information.

Thanks for your help guys.  I do not want to sit there and beat a dead
horse.  I will either patch the software or go with another piece of
software.