radius.log permissions issue

Philip Molter hrunting at hrunting.org
Wed Jul 15 23:44:33 CEST 2009

With freeradius 2.1.6, I have a configuration such as this in my
radiusd.conf file:

user = radiusd
group = radiusd

When I start up radiusd for the first time, the radius.log file gets
created with 0640 permissions, owned by root:radiusd, instead of
radiusd:radiusd.  This doesn't prevent the RADIUS process from working,
but it does prevent any useful information from being logged.

Is this a known bug?  Is there a workaround other than creating the file
by hand and setting its ownership before starting freeradius?

Philip