Connecting freeRadius to openLDAP

Eric Bourkland eric.bourkland at trustedconcepts.com
Tue Jul 21 18:22:22 CEST 2009

I'm relatively new to freeRadius and I'm getting very frustrated trying to get it to Authenticate with my openLDAP, I'm sure it is a small configuration change but I can't find where it is and I'm beating my head against a wall.  FreeRadius does not "just work" as the instructions imply.

All I am trying to do is setup my freeRadius so that you have to authenticate from a laptop to the 802.11.

I can attach any of my config files but what I have done is rebuilt a whole new server RHEL4.7-ES, with freeRadius v2.1.6 installed.
with this install all I have done is changed the ldap module file to point to my ldap file and uncommented LDAP in the Authorize and Authenicate sections from /sites-available/default and added my Access point to the clients file.  I've read this in the various instructions found over the internet and it is supposed to just work.  After I've made these changes I can successfully "Access-Accept" using radtest on the server and if I add a test user to the Users file I can "Access-Accept" from my laptop all the way through the router and gain access but I cannot get an ldap user to authenticate through.
I have tried various things such as changing default-eap-type to peap in eap.conf
Since I tried a few other options to get it to work that is why I built a whole new server to start from scratch since it sounds like making changes is a bad idea.
What config files or debugging should I post to try and get some assistance on this issue.

Thanks,