Prevent uid sharing or hot to allow use uid only once

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 17:04:47 CEST 2009

Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's suppose that John Doe comes and login with jdoe uid, then  Joe
> comes and wants to use wireless network, but he has not entry neither
> Ldap nor in radius users file, so he ask for jdoe that pass him its
> uid and password to login. Sorry if that sounds somewhat stupid but
> can we prevent that from radius? (please don't tell me to fire John
> Doe ;)  ).

I don't understand the problem or what you're trying to solve. So what
if Joe mistakenly tries to used John's username, it won't work as he
won't know Joe's password. This is no different than an attempted
network break in which should be prevented by locking your resources
down and ensuring strong passwords. Never in any instance will resources
authorized for one user be granted to another user unless you've
configured something wrong. If the problem is that both John and Joe
want the same username then one needs to explain to Joe that username is
already in use and he'll have to use another one.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/