New name to reflect new functionality (was RE: DHCP code in 2.0.4+)

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 13:56:14 CEST 2009

On 9/6/09 11:07, Martin Lorentz wrote:
> FreeRadius should always be called FreeRadius. It's almost a brand name,
> which is very well known, and has an excellent reputation.
>
> I agree the new stuff in FreeRadius needs way more attention. Virtually
> no one i know associates Free_Radius_ with VMPS, nor DHCP.
>
>>    I'd avoid the word "free".
>
> I'd agree. (Open- is taken too. What about Flex-"Something".)
>
> How could this be organized, in the source tree or elsewhere? A new
> server core maybe called Flex-"Something" without any knowledge of
> RADIUS, DHCP or the like? An "add-on" package called FreeRadius, another
> called FlexDHCP? Kind of confusing, there must be a better way.

Whenever I think of Flex, I think of Flex-LM... and that's not a good association :(

I know it's all 1980sish but we could bring back Synergy.

"syn⋅er⋅gism

–noun
1. 	the interaction of elements that when combined produce a total effect that is greater than the sum of the individual elements, contributions, etc."

It actually fits what FreeRADIUS is moving towards; lots of protocols working together to provide control of a network.

SyNC - Synergous/Synchronous Network Control, also reads as (Sync)

SyNAC - Synergous/Synchronous Network Access Control

Arran
--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk),
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer,