DHCP code in 2.0.4+

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 15:53:00 CEST 2009

On 9/6/09 14:20, Karl Auer wrote:
>>> I missed it. What was it again?
>> When we tried it back in 2007 with an Active/Active configuration, the
>> two instances of ISC DHCPD started handing out duplicate leases
>> completely arbitrarily. We scrapped the second instance and went
>> down to a single one. Haven't tried it again since.
>
> Thanks - but that's not a theoretical problem (necessarily). I'm
> interested in the protocol itself; Alan has been talking about an error
> in the protocol which would lead to failure *even if the protocol were
> implemented correctly*.
>
> What does "Active/Active" mean? Presumably not the same as
> "primary/primary", which would be a configuration error...

With a pair of servers running Active/Active means that both servers participate at the same time. In ISC terms this would be 'load sharing'.

Active/Passive generally refers to some kind of redundancy arrangement.

Regards,
Arran
--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk),
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer,