mysql errors when running freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jun 11 17:28:33 CEST 2009

JamesWhetherly wrote:
> I am trying to use radtest at the moment and haven't added any clients as i
> am awaiting the arrival of my new base station. So i haven't added any new
> clients.

  You have configured raddb/sql.conf to set "readclients = yes".  This
is NOT enabled in the default configuration.

  Comment that line out, and the server will start.

> I have used the schema that was located in side raddb/sql/mysql/schema.sql.
> So the database looks like this:
>
> mysql> show tables;
> +------------------+
> | Tables_in_radius |
> +------------------+
> | radacct          |
> | radcheck         |
> | radgroupcheck    |
> | radgroupreply    |
> | radpostauth      |
> | radreply         |
> | radusergroup     |
> +------------------+

  Which means you did NOT create the nas table defined in
sql/mysql/nas.sql.  That table is NOT added by default, because
"readclients = yes" is NOT enabled by default.

> I noticed theres a line that states 'readclients' in the sql.conf. the
> comments talk about looking at a table called 'nas' like you suggested. If i
> was set this to 'no' would this then allow me to still use sql but read from
> the clients.conf instead?

  Yes... that's what it says.

> I have been playing around with it all day today and now i can get radius to
> the "ready to progress request" stage. When i then try the test user i have
> set up in in the sql database it doesn't like it. I used the sql guide once
> again from the wiki and created a user called 'sqltest' and matched it to
> 'fredf' a dynamic user. The radiusd debug is show below:
>
> Ready to process requests.
> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 45849, id=210,
> length=59
> 	User-Name = "sqltest"
> 	User-Password = "testpwd"
> 	NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.2
> 	NAS-Port = 1812
> No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the request:

  You are not running "radiusd -X", as suggested in the FAQ, README,
INSTALL, "man" page, and Wiki.