Cleartext password between NAS and Radius Server

kpani dhandu_k at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jun 15 16:50:12 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am using PAP for radius authentication. I have a general question here.

When we use PAP for user authentication, the password will be passed from
user to NAS(radius client) as cleartext password. But how it is transmitted
from NAS to Radius server. 1) As clear text password? or 2)  The password is
encrypted using the secret keyword(used in both radius client & server) and
decrypted using secret key in server. Please correct me. I am seeing
different answers in web pages.

Regards,
Dhandapani