Cannot Authenticate - Help!

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jun 18 21:55:27 CEST 2009

Filipe Scalioni wrote:
> .. I read through it and I think that the fail is on EAP,
> but I can't figure out what it is... Here is a portion of the log, cut
> a little bit above where the errors begin
> [eap] Request found, released from the list
> [eap] EAP/mschapv2
> [eap] processing type mschapv2
> [mschapv2] +- entering group MS-CHAP {...}
> [mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create LM-Password.
> [mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create NT-Password.
> [mschap] Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for host/Bruna-PC with NT-Password
> [mschap] FAILED: No NT/LM-Password.  Cannot perform authentication.
> [mschap] FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect

  You haven't told the server what the "known good" password is.
Configure that, and it will work.

  It also looks like it's doing host authentication.  In that case, the
only entity that knows the password is Active Directory.  You will need
to set up Samba && ntlm_auth in order to authenticate these machines.

  See my site for more details:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/active_directory.html