1.x to 2.x Upgrade Howto available?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jun 24 20:31:48 CEST 2009

John Kane wrote:
> Is there a 'howto' on upgrade from Freeradius 1.x to 2.x, one that lists
> what configs were moved where, etc. that would allow a person to do the
> upgrade as smoothly and quickly as possible (I can't seem to find one).

  By and large, the configurations are compatible.  You could *almost*
take a configuration from 0.9.3, and use it in 2.1.6.  They're that close.

  Many of the configuration items have move (log_foo=bar to log{
foo=bar} ), but the old syntax is still accepted.

  That being said, it's always worth reading the configs in 2.x, and
*migrating* the configuration.  This means making it work the new way,
rather than simply copying the old way.  It's not hard, and it won't
take a long time.

> Or better yet, are there any perl or python scripts available that
> automate the config conversions (or am I just dreaming :) )?

  Sure... write one, and we'll add it in.