modules instance name restrictions

Thibault Le Meur Thibault.LeMeur at supelec.fr
Fri Mar 20 12:22:09 CET 2009

Hi,

I recently came up with a small issue concerning modules instances name
(especially when they set Auth-Type).

* I defined my own pap module with the name 'pap-myorg' and expected it
to set Auth-Type to PAP-MYORG, but in fact it wasn't setting the
Auth-Type at all (moreover I saw no notice in the log about not beeing
able to set the Auth-Type).
* I changed the instance name to 'papmyorg' and now the module sets the
Auth-Type to PAPMYORG.

I tried to find in the doc where the restrictions on module instances
names were defined, but didn't found any reference to this. And given
the fact that some standard modules have specific chars such as '_' or
'-', I thought there was little constraints.

Is there any module instance naming convention written somewhere in the
provided documentation (or online)?
Maybe be it could be interresting to have a warning in the radius debug
log in order to notice the administrator that Auth-Type wasn't set due
to module naming restrictions?

Best regards,
Thibault