Fair usage package implementation

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 8 13:52:51 CEST 2009

Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:
> I wonder if how such a "package" can be implemented,
>

>        1. Unlimited rate normally
>        2. But when downloaded packets exceed certain defined
>           figure, download rate is trottled.

  Ensure that the NAS can dynamically change download rate.  If it
can't, then no amount of work on the RADIUS server will help.

> One way I could think of is to run a batch job which work out
> per user octet usage and then set the attribute WISPr-Bandwidth-Max-Down
> accordingly. But this will have to be per day basis, it might be too late ( after the subscriber have over abused it ).
>
> Is there way such a thing can be implemented inside radiusd so that
> everything happens on the fly ?

  You said it yourself... the server is receiving accounting packets.
You can check *then* whether or not the user is over their quota.

  In fact, that's *exactly* the use case for the CoA functionality in
the server.  You can check for bandwidth usage, and if the user is over
the limit, send a CoA or Disconnect packet to the NAS.

  NASes from major vendors are now starting to implement support for CoA
and Disconnect packets.