WPA Enterprise, 802.1X, Freeradius, EAP & Kerberos

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 8 21:00:18 CEST 2009

Scott Sears wrote:
> I cannot get all the pieces working together.
> Laptop->AP->Freeradius->Kerberos.

  It's impossible.

  Kerberos requires a clear-text password to authenticate (or various
Kerberos crypto tokens derived from the password).

  PEAP supplies an MS-CHAP hash, not a clear-text password.

  So the two are *incompatible*.

  If you use SecureW2, you can configure Windows to do TTLS+PAP.  That
will supply a clear-text password in the inner tunnel, which will allow
kerberos to work.

> I can see this problem has been posted to the list many times,

  Kerberos + EAP?  I don't recall seeing that very often.

  Windows + EAP questions happen a lot...