WPA Enterprise, 802.1X, Freeradius, EAP & Kerberos

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Fri May 8 22:23:15 CEST 2009

On 8/5/09 21:11, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>>>     If you use SecureW2, you can configure Windows to do TTLS+PAP.  That
>>> will supply a clear-text password in the inner tunnel, which will allow
>>> kerberos to work.
>> Really? I would have thought the exchange would be far more complex than
>> just PAP? Surely you can't bootstrap Kerberos like that.
>
>    You can't.  But you can use a KDC as an authentication oracle.
>
> RADIUS: Is this PAP password OK?
> KDC: yes/no.

Does it request a TGT and then see if it can decrypt it ?

> RADIUS: thanks...

Yes realised what you were doing :) I suppose it's usefulish...

>> Has anyone actually got EAP-Kerberos or some other equivalent scheme
>> working with windows ?
>
>    Ugh.  No.

Didn't think so. If only those Xsupplicant guys managed to get it
working on a platform *other* than XP. Maybe people would be more
inclined to contribute code to do these neat things *sigh*.

I'm going to file this under the *really really cool, but not for
another decade* section.

--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk),
Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting Officer,