checking authorization in the duration of connection

Nyamul Hassan mnhassan at usa.net
Sat May 9 13:45:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

Sorry for barging into the thread, but something just caught my
attention. We use Mikrotik throughout our network, and have found them
quite useful and with the right hardware, it performs pretty well in
our setup.

But, there are guys in this forum who are quite frankly, way ahead
than myself in terms of both knowledge and experience. So, could you
please elaborate why you rate Mikrotik as dumb? Perhaps I am already
in trouble!

Regards,
HASSAN

On 5/6/09, Ivan Kalik <tnt at kalik.net> wrote:
>> How about vpn windows as NAS?
>>

> Is that a joke? Windows server would be useless. It can't terminate adsl,
> at least not much more than one line. So, someone else is going to
> terminate adsl and send you what via VPN? Accounting? You don't need
> Windows at all then - just a freeradius server. Or traffic via L2TP
> tunnels? Your Windows server is going to die with any significant ammount
> of traffic. Using Windows server as a router is insane. It can work like
> that - but very, very badly. Even a cheap dumb $50-$100 router like
> Mikrotik will outperform it by miles.
>
> Ivan Kalik
> Kalik Informatika ISP
>
> -