Upgrading freeradius from source

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue May 12 11:56:01 CEST 2009

mctiew at yahoo.com wrote:
> Unfortunately, I am using for production a pretty old distribution
> 1.1.7. For such an old distro, it's almost impossible to do an
> upgrade and still maintaining the rpm package info and what not,
> so I am considering upgrading by compiling from source, ie
> configure and make install.
>
> Any thing I should consider before I have go down to this path ?

  It won't over-write your existing configuration.

  Ensure that you're using "Cleartext-Password := ...", and not
"User-Password =="

  It may be safer to *migrate* your existing configuration.  The
configuration files are relatively small, so this shouldn't take long.

  i.e. go through the configuration files, comparing the old to the new
(default) files.  Where they are different, add your configuration, OR
examine your configuration to see if it's still necessary.

  The goal of 2.x is to have it *largely* compatible with 1.x, but there
are differences.