Proposed release of 2.1.6

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue May 12 19:49:41 CEST 2009

piston wrote:
> Dear Alan
>
> Same issue as 2.1.5 (debian OS), $INCLUDE sql.conf is commented by default.
>
> Hope you can take look on this.

I think there is a good argument for not including sql.conf by default.
You can't use sql until you've configured and set up a sql backend which
requires active participatory configuration by the admin on multiple
levels. In addition some users may not wish to install FreeRADIUS with
any SQL support whatsoever, they might be using flat files or LDAP.
Packagers may wish to offer user's "lite" versions which do not pull in
any external dependencies on SQL.

The default sql.conf defaults to MySQL. All of a sudden you now have to
have MySQL installed and configured. But what if MySQL isn't installed
and configured? Then the first time you run FreeRADIUS it fails. Then
the clueless admin thinks he has to install MySQL because he doesn't
understand SQL support is optional, and in particular MySQL is optional.

I think we should leave SQL support turned off by default, those which
need it will have the knowledge to enable it and those which don't will
be spared headaches and package bloat.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?