Accounting into MySQL

Tim Dressel tjdressel at gmail.com
Thu May 14 22:53:22 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

I have an Ubuntu server 8.04.2 LTS running (pretty bare bones). I
installed freeradius and freeradius-sql from the repositories (MySQL
5, all dependiencies, etc). For configuration I followed the SQL HOWTO
on the FreeRADIUS Wiki page. I am able to successfully use NTRadPing
Test Utility against the radius server when configured to use SQL as
the back end.

I also followed the instructions on the Frontios website and a few
other websites, and by searching this groups mail archive on how to
configure accounting into SQL, but I'm not getting any accounting
information.

Running freeradius -X I see the queries going to the database for
authentication, but I don't see any insert/select into statements
indicating accounting information being written to the database.

I have some basic questions to better understand accounting into SQL.

1. Using NTRadPING, should I get entries in my radacct table?

2. I have uncommented the sql_log, and all the detail log sections,
and in the accounting section, and uncommented the sql in the
accounting section. What other changed are required assuming that I am
already successfully authenticating from the radcheck table?

3. Is there a more detailed how-to on the internet (I guess my
google-foo is not as good as others) specifically on accounting in
mysql?

3.b) ... sepecifically on MAC authentication?

Thanks so much!

Tim