communication safe ssh <-> NAS <-> FreeRADIUS ?

François Mehault Francois.Mehault at netplus.fr
Tue May 19 14:14:51 CEST 2009

Hi,

I authenticate on cisco equipments via ssh/telnet. There is no supplicant, so I don't understand in my case and i would like to know if the communication between my cisco equipment and my FreeRadius  safe is. I have a secret shared between both. I understand that the communciation between freeradius and the client radius use the protocol Radius. But in my case there is no PEAP, EAP/TLS ...
Someone can confirm me please if the communication is safe ? because I afraid to see in the file users my password in clear-text. Is it possible to use md5, ssha ... and how ?

Thanks,

Regards,

François