FreeRadius crashed on accounting load tests with 1000 concurrent clients

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Nov 10 17:25:04 CET 2009

Dinh Pham Cong wrote:
> I have enabled sqltrace and found that for accounting purpose, there was
> only a single query made into MySQL for accounting stop or start: An
> insert for start and a delete for stop. For single INSERT and/or DELETE
> I have used mysqlslap for stress testing and found that MYSQL can handle
> 6000 - 8700 qps for 2000 concurrent clients. Therefore I double that
> MySQL is not a bottleneck.

  OK.

> There might be something wrong with
> FreeRadius that made it not scalable when the load is high. When
> FreeRadius crashed there were only 1200 - 1400 radiusd threads as Munin
> recorded it.

  Yes... you've said that a lot.  Could you try following the
instructions to find out the CAUSE of the crash?

> The way it crashed is strange too. No fatal error in radius.log. There
> is a single kernel log found in /var/log/messages. Is it stable in 64
> bit OS and SMP ?

  So far as we know, yes.

  But if you follow the instructions in doc/bugs, you will be able to
give us the data we need to FIX the crash.

  If you keep posting messages saying "it's slow", and "it crashed",
then we WILL NOT be able to fix the crash.

  Please follow the instructions in doc/bugs.