FreeRADIUS + Postgresql dies unexpectedly

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Nov 14 10:27:56 CET 2009

Alexander Clouter wrote:
> This is a different implosion this time round to your last one.  Looks
> like Alan's SQL patch simply postponed the SIGSEGV to a different part
> of the code.  Not sure what should be done, but it looks like errorcode
> also needs to be changed (probably set to NULL explicitly or something).
> Alternatively it might be that the error code table in sql_postgresql.h
> needs updating?  No real idea here, Alan?

  I'd suggest changing sql_query() function in sql_postgresql.c to:

	if (!errormsg) return -1;

  instead of the current block of code { errormsg = "FATAL ERROR" }

> Although FreeRADIUS should not be dying, it does make me wonder why you
> can reproduce this problem so regularly :)

  It's not FreeRADIUS... it's the PostgreSQL libraries.  They are
supposed to return an error code and message... they don't.  Then, when
they don't, they go crazy.

  We've got to work around bugs in libraries we use.  <sigh>