Freeradius load balancing.

nick nick at mobilia.it
Fri Nov 20 10:49:10 CET 2009

At the moment we have a freeradius 1.1.3 server on CentOS which is
functioning fine, but due to circumstances, and the devices we are using
as NASes, the ip pools are located on the NAS instead of being
centralized on the RADIUS server as we'd like it.

We'd now like to make things a bit more robust, including a clustered
MySQL backend for AAA, and, if possible, load balanced freeradius
servers on the front end.

We'd also like to use SQL ip pools. I am only unsure about one thing
though. If we have a shared pool available via DB, what prevents the two
load balanced radius instances from giving out the same ip address?

I've been doing a fair bit of googling, but without a whole lot of luck
in this respect.

Thanks for any info,

Nick Warr.