Freeradius load balancing.

Michael da Silva Pereira michael at tradepage.co.za
Fri Nov 20 18:25:07 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 15:52 +0100, Nick Warr wrote:
> I may have misphrased the question, if the ip pool is a single one,
> containing say 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.50, is there a way that the
> second Radius server can know the IPs distributed by the first Radius
> server to avoid duplicate IP assignments?
>
> Or is the only way to have two separate ip pools without overlap?
It might be better to mark a set of IPs for allocation for each radius
server.

I currently have something similar and using master-master sql
replication. There can be delays with the replication so to be safe I
created a field for the radius server allocating a particular IP.

eg of a table struct
ip | free | radius_server
192.168.0.1 | 1 | radius1
192.168.0.2 | 1 | radius1
192.168.0.3 | 1 | radius1
192.168.0.4 | 1 | radius1
192.168.0.5 | 1 | radius2
192.168.0.6 | 1 | radius2
192.168.0.7 | 1 | radius2
192.168.0.8 | 1 | radius2

SELECT ip FROM ips WHERE free = 1 and radius_server ='radius1';

Note: Above is an example and differs from freeradius default sql ippool
struct.