authorize_check_query - authorize_reply_query - synchronous or asynchronous?

freeradius at duxtel.com freeradius at duxtel.com
Mon Nov 23 04:44:54 CET 2009

Hi Folks!

I have a working freeRadius with Postgresql database behind it, and looking
at developing some additional functionality for a public access wireless
service requested by one of our customers.

The deal is that they want to allow limited access (by time/download etc) to
first-time visitors for free, and then direct them to a purchase page once
they have used up that limit.

What I'm thinking is to point the authorize_check_query to a pgSQL function
that looks for the MAC address in a special table, and if it doesn't exist,
to create a new user linked to the client MAC (Our Access Points all support
MAC-Auth when the wireless client connects to the network).

I'm expecting that if I can create a new user in the authorize_check_query
and have it return auth-success, then the authorize_reply_query will return
the relevant data from what is created by the former....  I hope that makes
some kind of sense! :-}

So my basic question is:  Does "authorize_check_query" complete fully before
starting the call to "authorize_reply_query"?

If they happen at the same time, then I expect that 'authorize_reply_query'
may execute before I get a chance to create the relevant records for the
'guest' user...

I know I can just go ahead and find out my answer by 'empirical method', but
I figure that just because it seems to work every time, there is no definite
guarantee that it will work *every* time unless I can be certain that these
functions execute in sequence :-}

Any comments are gratefully received! :-)

Thanks, regards,  Mike Everest.