authorize_check_query - authorize_reply_query - synchronous or asynchronous?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Nov 23 11:28:37 CET 2009

freeradius at duxtel.com wrote:
> That is true for a select statement, but my authorize_check_query is /not/ a
> simple select.

  <sigh>  Do you understand how databases work?

> the 'auth()' function is a plpgsql function that does a variety of lookups
> and other checks, and then depending on the results returned from that
> query, it *might* update database records, or it might insert additional
> data.

  Does the pgsql function do things AFTER it returns?

 No - there is no problem

 Yes - your database is irrevocably broken

>>   Databases ensure transactional consistency.  This is the job of a
>> database.
>
> Yes, very true - so it is conveivably possible that authorize_reply_query is
> completed before my authorize_check_query has updated or inserted records.

  I have *no idea* how you concluded that when I said the exact opposite.

> I'm sure that there is a definitive answer to this question "Does freeradius
> wait for the result of auth-check before running auth-reply?" and I am aware
> that it may not be the answer that I'd hope to hear ;-)  but I'd still like
> to know it, noneteheless :-D

  Could you explain why my previous answer is incomprehensible to you?