Freeradius start at boot

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 16:44:51 CEST 2009

On 10/01/2009 10:17 AM, Paul Blalock wrote:
> So I have gone through all the responses and will post everything asked
> for here.
>
> My user account is not in the sudoers list, not sure how to add it and
> not sure if this is a problem since I use "su" and then issued the sudo
> commands.

FWIW, it is pointless to use sudo when you're already root. sudo allows
you to run a command as if you were root without actually being root.
It's a much safer working methodology to log in as a normal user and
only do things which require root privilege via sudo.

> When I log into the box as a user, not root, radiusd auto starts, but
> does not start, until I log in as a user.

Then you've screwed something up. Please make sure you didn't add radius
in some fashion (either as /usr/sbin/radiusd or as /etc/init.d/radiusd)
to the desktop startup applications. To check this after you log into
the account which autostarts radius goto this menu item: System -->
Preferences --> Startup Applications and make sure radius is *not* in
the list. Someone earlier suggested using Startup Applications and that
suggest is *wrong*, please make sure you didn't do that.

> service radiusd status
> radiusd (pid 1444) is running...

O.K. great.

Now stop it by doing this:

service radiusd stop

it should report it's stopped but you can verify with

service radiusd status

Now that we know it's stopped we can verify that it should start at boot
by doing this:

service radiusd start

Did it start? It should say OK. Verify it's still running by:

service radiusd status

Is it still running?

If yes then it should start at boot provided it's enabled by chkconfig

Why does the above test prove it should start? Because "service radiusd
start" is exactly the command used to start it at boot time.

BTW, having radiusd automatically start at boot time is known to work.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/