Ldap search and AD operations error

Leighton Man l.j.man at hud.ac.uk
Tue Oct 6 17:49:43 CEST 2009

Hi All,

Following everyone's help our eduroam system is up and running by the target date - Many thanks, particularly to Alan and Ivan.

I'm now trying to configure it *properly*

I have, in the ldap module configuration:

 chase_referrals = yes
        rebind = yes

I'm running version 2.1.6 on Solaris doing lookups against Active Directory.

I get, in the debug:

rlm_ldap: Bind was successful
rlm_ldap: performing search in dc=ad, dc=hud, dc=ac, dc=uk, with filter (sAMAccountName=mytestusername)
rlm_ldap: ldap_search() failed: Operations error
rlm_ldap::ldap_groupcmp: search failed

Has anyone got latest information on what causes this or how to fix it. I have a workaround but it's not ideal.
I assume trying to get more helpful information out of Microsoft AD is pretty futile but has anyone any clues as to what "operations error" realy means? The workaround is to specify a container in the search but as the number of possible containers for a search increases things rapidly begin to get out of hand .....

Regards,

Leighton

---