Error: Received conflicting packet

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Oct 11 21:26:39 CEST 2009

rihad wrote:
> Absurd. The Dell PowerEdge 2950 w/ 2 quad-cores cannot itself without
> human intervention survive the "NAS attack" exactly due to having to
> give up on hundreds of requests per second

  Your dual quad-core box can't handle hundreds of packets a second?

  Wow... your Perl script is doing something *really* bad.  Simple tests
of the server with PAP to a MySQL database show a single core machine
can get 1000's of requests/s.  If there's no DB, FreeRADIUS can do 10's
of 1000's of requests per second.

  Test it yourself without your Perl script.  It's not hard to do.

> not replied to in under 1
> second, evidenced by an almost equal presence of many "Discarding
> conflicting packet" and "Received conflicting packet" lines in the log.
> That is, not many (if any) of our "Receved ..." lines are due to what
> could be considered a NAS timeout, and they should be treated like
> "Discarding ...", that is, the new request should be dropped.

  OK... so you don't understand how RADIUS works.  Conflicting packets
*are* NAS timeouts.  Nothing else causes them.

>>   No.  You do not understand how RADIUS works.  The code will NOT be
>> changed to discard the new packet.
>
> Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than you will be more able to assess
> all points involved.

  This is a joke, right?  There are maybe 10 people on the planet who
know as much about RADIUS than I do.  I doubt very much that anyone
knows *more* about RADIUS.

  Good luck solving your problem.  It's clear you don't want expert help.