Error: Received conflicting packet

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Mon Oct 12 12:17:48 CEST 2009

>>> Our radius-server timeout is high enough: 4 minutes. Once again: I
>>> suppose that what freeradius thinks of as "Received conflicting packet
>>> ..." are rather a bit delayed packets normally treated as "Discarding
>>> conflicting packet ...", i.e. they arrive at freeradius in maybe 1.01+
>>> second after the first request, but freeradius drops the current
>>> request
>>> instead of the new one. Soon I'm gonna rebuild freeradius with changed
>>> tv_sec and check that.
>>
>> huh? do you not understand the basic context of this issue?  if the NAS
>> has sent a repeat RADIUS packet then it means that the original packet
>> has already been timed out and the NAS should NOT accept an 'accept'
>> response
>> on that original packet.
> Please see the comment from the code snippet in src/main/event.c in my
> original posting. Some duplicate packets might arrive after 1 sec. by a
> slight margin, even though they logically are whatever that
> special-cased conditional was designed to handle.

1 second? Freeradius keeps track of duplicates for 5 minutes by default.
That is if processing has been completed. But in your case requests are
still being processed 4 minutes after NAS sent them (if that is your retry
interval on the NAS as you claim - default is usually 2 minutes). That is
why it gave up on them and sent a new request. How do you think that
adjusting that 1 second interval is going to help *your* case???

Stop hacking the server and start looking at your perl code. Do you really
need to use it for authentication? Can you get all the data in authorize
script and let freeradius default modules do the authentication (that can
speed things up quite a bit)? Can you get (some of) the data using
freeradius sql/ldap/whatever modules instead?

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP