Session resumption problem

David Mitchell mitchell at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 12 19:59:46 CEST 2009

I was searching back in the archives, and in September there was a user
who reported a problem with session resumption. I'm seeing the exact
same symptoms I believe, also on Debian 5.0 with OpenSSL 0.9.8g. I never
saw any follow up? Is there a fix known for this? I am using a locally
compiled version of FreeRadius 2.1.7. It's linked against the system
OpenSSL libraries though. Building a local 0.9.8k or even 1.0.0 is
certainly an option if there is a chance it will help.

Here's a snippet from the original thread. I think it was about Sept.
1st 2009. I get similar errors. Sometimes the client (an Ubuntu 9.04
Jaunty laptop) connects, but sometimes I get this resumption error. My
other clients (XP, iPhone, etc.) don't seem to ever exhibit the problem.

> [peap] Success
> [peap] FAIL: Forcibly stopping session resumption as it is not allowed.
> [eap] Freeing handler

  Arg.  FreeRADIUS tells OpenSSL to *not* allow session resumption, and
it still negotiates session resumption.

  Which OS are you using?  Which version of OpenSSL?