virtual_server and the default server

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Oct 14 21:41:05 CEST 2009

hi,

this message is regarding the virtual_server definition in
the clients section.... this allows you to point a client
request directly to a virtual server. handy.

okay - been trying to use this partially buried feature
with clients in an SQL table

if I add the special 'server' column (commented out in the schema
by default) to the SQL table and then update the NAS query in dialup.conf
(note, the server must be the last argument on the select query!)
then add a named entry for a chosen client then its fine
but, if I then query the server from a client that doesnt have a
'server' entry then it doesnt work.....

this is what i get (all the startup stuff deleted)

server  {
No such virtual server
Invalid user: [testuser] (from client bigbox port 0)
} # server
Using Post-Auth-Type Reject
No such virtual server
Delaying reject of request 0 for 1 seconds
Going to the next request
Waking up in 0.9 seconds.
Sending delayed reject for request 0
Sending Access-Reject of id 155 to 192.168.10.1 port 36684
Waking up in 4.9 seconds.

if I go through and add 'default' to the virtual_server entry
for all other clients then things still dont work - no such
server :

server default {
No such virtual server default
Invalid user: [testuser] (from client bigbox port 0)
} # server default
Using Post-Auth-Type Reject
No such virtual server default
Delaying reject of request 0 for 1 seconds
Going to the next request
Waking up in 0.9 seconds.
Sending delayed reject for request 0
Sending Access-Reject of id 57 to 192.168.10.1 port 57991
Waking up in 4.9 seconds.

but then if i add the 'server' wrapper around the sites-enabled/default
ie

server default {

{rest of default server config

}

then it all works....this means that 2 presumptions are wrong:

i thought that a blank virtual_server entry would be handled by default server
i thought that the default server was known as 'default'

i've obviously already been corrected by my trial and error...i'd rather
not have been burned like this..but hey, we live and learn... but I am a little
concerned by the 'no entry' failing - this means I have to edit a few more
files to get things working as expected....

alan